Friday, January 23, 2009

January


What exactly is it that farmers do in the winter? I'm often asked this question; I think people expect me to say something like, 'it's our slow season, Brian doesn't do much.' Which shows me that the average American truly is removed from the farm, like statistics tell us.

Yesterday hubby got up at 6:00 AM to haul soybeans to the Processor. He was able to fill the semi from our grain bins (see pic), drive to KC, wait in long lines, unload beans, and drive back again twice. Lots of times he tries to get three loads delivered in a day, but yesterday he had to help haul hay for the cows as well. He got back at 7:00 PM. And that, my friends, is the slow season.

Depending on what grain he is moving, sometimes he gets a Saturday off. Or, at least, a half day. This is the biggest difference in our family between harvest or planting and winter or late summer.

That, and the little guy can ride in the semi-- no problems.

Maybe winter will turn out to be my slow season!

2 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

Shew! It just sounds so tough. But you guys seem to have a system, and it appears you've all adapted well to The Farmer's Life. Well done!

Ruth said...

I love that picture back-dropped with that amazing blue sky! Awesome!