Saturday, February 21, 2009

Farm Show

This weekend is the Western Farm Show in Kansas City. I have had the privilege of attending the farm show in the past, but today just Brian is going. The convention is HUGE-- three floors of farm equipment, ag suppliers, insurance agents, flyers, pamphlets, and brochures-- which means it is not an ideal place to take a not-quite-two-year-old.


Next year, however, or maybe the year after, I am certain that the farm show will be one of the little guy's favorite places. Children climb on every model of Case or John Deere tractor, sit in the buckets of loaders, and pretend to drive skid steers. Heavily over-priced food wafes its way through every display; popcorn, pizza slices, hot dogs, Slurpee's.


But no matter how much fun my little boy might think this show is, nothing will top the excitement of my husband.


I'm betting (not that any of you will take my bet) he comes home today with a plastic bag filled to overflowing with information about hundreds of products. The important thing to know about each and every product it that it is something the farm truly and desperately needs. Even if the purchase date is estimated to be three or four years down the road (or more), Brian will stop and talk in depth with the vendor, researching, price shopping, and comparing models.


So, I guess to him it's like a Hobby Lobby...

2 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

Whoa. You had me at "Hobby Lobby."

Ruth said...

Even I come home from farm shows with bags full of useless (for me) information, pencils, rulers, key chains, etc.
But my favorite thing of all is the root beer. The super, super sweet stuff in the old fashioned bottles that is like $5 for 20oz.
Mmmmmm. :)