Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cash, Credit, or Debit?

Yesterday I did my February shopping. I got up early, made out a huge list for three different grocery stores, packed the toddler in the car, and headed off to the not quite thriving metropolis 45 minutes away.

Then, as I pulled into JoAnn's where I needed fabric to make a pillow for my cousin's wedding, it hit me.

Brian had my debit card.

So I called him to double check. Yep-- he'd gone to the store for me last week, and as per our New Year's Resolution, he'd taken the household card to better keep track of household expenses. No biggie. I had my checkbook and ID, so we could still buy things.

After writing a check for $2.15 (coupons!!!) I torn it from my register. Just to realize it was my last one. At minimum I figured I still had at least three stops to make, none of which were going to happen without money. Did I drive all that way to spend 10 minutes in a craft store and spend less than three dollars?

Then I remember they had opened a branch of our local bank in this town not long ago. But would they let me withdraw cash with no checks? I'm sure all of you would never do anything like this, but on the off chance that it happens to you-- the answer is yes! I had to show ID and fill out a little form, no sweat.

But I spent the rest of the day constantly checking my pockets. I don't think I've ever carried that much cash.

No comments: