Thursday, October 23, 2008

Town

My husband asked me to go into town to mail a letter. Sounds simple enough.

But which town?

Living in the country, such as we do, "town" is nebulous at best. First there is the tiny little town which is our mailing address. It has a small (over priced) grocery store, post office, gas station-- oh! two gas stations, school, and four-way stop. Oh yeah.

The next closest town is about 15 minutes away and has considerably more. There are several "mom and pop" restaurants, fast food, bank, Wal-Mart, and prison. Oh! Two prisons. This is where I usually head as I can also visit the library (which I must pay to belong to since we actually live in another county!) or drop off dry cleaning. Exciting stuff like that.

Then there is the small city/big town we go to once a week for the baby's physical therapy. It's 45 minutes or so away, but boasts several shopping centers, a small mall, a few craft stores, one electronics store, book store, and lots of services and such.

And the grand finale-- the city. A real cit-- small compared to say, Chicago, but it has sky scrappers and traffic jams and everything. We go there for BIG craft stores, big malls, the children's hospital, Babies R Us, nice restaurants, movie theaters, and Christian bookstores. Obviously its not where I'll go to mail a letter though :-).

So chose carefully. Going to town is a big deal.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

If I'm not mistaken, I remember a certain poster on the back of a bedroom door of that boy...;)