Saturday, October 11, 2008

Pizza Hut Pizza

I'm always searching for good "travel" menus. During harvest one of my, shall we say, challenges, is getting food to the field. Besides being a bit of a pain it is also highly unfufilling to take a gourmet dish in a Styrofoam container to men who will wait 45 minutes before eating it so it is completely cold and no longer tastes like anything worth eating and then come home to eat my portion which is now stuck the bottom of the pan. And while I realize this is a terrible run-on sentence, perhaps you can sense my frustration in it. So like I said, I'm always on the look out for "travel" food.

Unfortunately one of the easiest foods to transport is pizza. In a nice box. Straight from the take-out counter. Its also one of the unhealthiest and most costly.

But I have an innovative husband and access to the Internet. So he took it upon himself to find Pizza Hut's recipe for pan pizza. And it really works. I use less oil than called for in the recipe and also use half whole wheat flour (all whole wheat seems to be a bit much).

Dough:
1 1/3 cups warm water (105)
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 T sugar
1 pkg dry yeast
2 T oil
4 cups flour
9 oz oil (3oz per pan)

Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in 2 qt. bowl, add water, mix well. Allow to sit 2 min. Add oil and stir. Add flour and stir until dough forms. Turn onto flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Divide dough into 3 balls. In three 9" cake pans evenly spread 3 oz of oil. Roll out each dough ball to 9" circle and place in cake pans. Spray outer edge of dough with Pam. Cover with a plate and place in warm area. Allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Sauce:
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Combine and let sit 1 hour.

For each pizza: Preheat oven to 475. Spoon 1/3 cup sauce on dough and spread to within 1" of the edge. Distribute 1 1/2 oz shredded mozzarella cheese. Place topping in this order: Pepperoni or ham, veggies, meats and top with 3 oz mozzarella. Cook until cheese is bubbling and outer crust is brown (about 10 min.). Cut into six slices.

So bring on the Styrofoam. I'm ready.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I have a pizza crust recipe that I really like, but I'm curious to try this... Thanks for sharing!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Yay! I remember you talked about this at one point (maybe at your Mary Kay party?) and wondered about finding the recipe. Now I can just print it out! Thanks for sharing. :)