Friday, December 12, 2008

Need

I know that on this blog I'm supposed to write about farm life. But today, I'm gonna write about something women across America can understand. Those of you living in skyrise apartments and women on the coast in their beach bungalows will relate. You mountain side bed and breakfast gals or desert homeowners know exactly what I'm saying. I'm talking about Tupperware parties.

In fact, there probably are right now, women in grass huts checking the sky to see if the sun is in the right spot for them to strap their babies on their backs and head off to see the latest in food storage.

"This will be so perfect for my leftover water buffalo!" they exclaim. "I need this!"

Never mind that women on the African plains have lived centuries without water buffalo storage containers. Or that this giant serving bowl is beautiful but will never fit in my kitchen cabinet. Forget that until this very moment I was not aware the product even existed. Now I need it.

But how do you say "no?"

And if you did say no, you obviously were not at the same party I was last night. A whole table filled with (Tupperware) bowels of home-made candy, fudge, cookies, sausage, cheese, spiced apple cider... Heaven.

So I shopped along with everyone else. The sales were great, the company superb, and the pocketbook lighter.

But what can I say. I needed it.

2 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

Sounds like I missed quite the shindig...

Great post! :)

Kelly said...

Two little words, but from a writer! Thanks :)