Thursday, April 1, 2010

King Cotton

This is the time of year I might blog about spring planting. But I complained about the wet weather all last spring, so that's old.

It is also the time of year I might tell you about my efforts to spring clean. Unfortunately this years its more effort and less clean.

Thankfully all is not lost. I have, in fact, been doing something very productive, useful, and interesting. I have been sewing.

When I learned to sew either no one taught me or I just did not listen to the lesson about choosing fabrics other than cotton print. I made dresses from calico, pajamas from plaid, and doll clothes out of fabric from the rag bag. None of it was that impressive. Then, in college, my roommate and I made Renaissance dresses. I branched out and used cotton blends.

But now, now I am stretching my abilities. Literally. This top is from a new family of fabrics only recently discovered. They are called... knits. Amazing, isn't it!

This next one is also from the stretch knit family, although it is softer, less silky to the touch.
And finally, the world of DENIM. You can make jean that actually fit! Truly! Observe if you will, not even a belt!
Despite holding a crying baby on my lap while wrestling with seam binding tape (and I felt better that two JoAnn's employees didn't know what that was either...) and handing out goldfish crackers between ripping seams, I actually had a blast.
And I've purchased another pattern and some fabric to begin asap.
But old habits die hard.
Its cotton.

7 comments:

Janet said...

Both of those tops are so pretty!I still struggle with knits, but it looks like you got the hang of it! Love the jeans too :)I just cut some out for myself!I am ready to have jeans that FIT by-golly!

Caroline @ The Modest Mom said...

I'm super impressed! Those tops look so pretty! Great job.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Wow! Go you! I most love that green top. Sooo pretty.

Kelly said...

Janet: What pattern are you using? Mine was a McCalls "perfect fit" jean, but it was the ONLY one I could find.

(and thanks everyone!)

Ruth said...

Ok, so I have tote (somewhere. Buried.) full of knits, and like a million patterns for stretch knits, but I'm secretly afraid of them. You give me hope. GO KELLY!!! Love the jeans, btw. Supa' cute.

Janet said...

Kelly- The jean pattern Im using is a discontinued NEW LOOK pattern.Its a widw leg "pant" pattern but denim was a suggested fabric! Im adding the pockets from the McCalls perfect fit pattern.

zzccff said...

p / p p usually eat noodles massive, travel extensively , besides tasted Qishan S��o surface . Pasta , although Beats By Dr Dre Earphone flavor is different , however is not as nice as the total home Intestinal surface as smooth palatability , unique flavor . / P Monster Ibeats Headphone p my hometown is rather a tiny village . Intestinal surface , is very important of your Intestinal The fact is , there is not any Intestinal is often a pasta made ? Beats By Dr Dre Studio?using yams flour and eggs . childhood , I always expect associates to the house your home lively to educate yourself playing the states off ( master stick Beats By Dr Dre Over Ear guests light ), eat three square meals an evening meal of delicious Teach your brain . yams flour and clear water towards a thin paste , into your raw eggs , put salt , hard mix , which includes a tiny amount of lard (or tea oil ) , scoop a teaspoon of your thin paste in to the bottom of your pot to spread down the pot wall splashed open across the mixture gently baked into a pizza pan , then cool and cold pizza is carefully stacked , knife and cut into half means wide surface strip via the addition of egg noodles were egg yellow , slightly rolled up on both sides of seems to Intestinal like , and so the name Teach your face . And mushrooms , radish, garlic , ginger and also other seasonings pot acute and fire foods that are fried , add soup , by building following the water prior to the pot noodles, oil , salt , and pretty soon , a pot of hot , yellow , fresh , fresh , fragrant Monster Isport Headphone of Intestinal surface on the show at the front , appetizing , appetite, sudden and devastating . / p p Today, people's living standards improve , meat and fish don't need to be concerned with eating , nevertheless in the Hakka people always forget that unique flavor country cuisine Intestinal surface near a guesthouse , or holidays , weddings and festive , hospitable Hakka people will be got out that loose smooth mouth delicious Hakka Intestinal surface , so that you can appreciate the endless charm of rural Local products . r9M recipes br [ : Source: Internet ] Updated : [ 2007-11-29 8:26:00 ],]],, gho6ss9